Pages

Tuesday 22 June 2021

Writing - Cultural Appreciation

 Paragraph Writing 


Using your PEEL paragraph structure (Point, Explanation, Example, Link) you are being asked to write another piece of Opinion Writing.


Over the last couple of weeks we have been celebrating our cultures, whether it be through our song and dance for Fiafia, or the work done for Samoan Language week, celebrating cultures is a rich and wonderful experience for us all.

Your question is this;


Why do you think it is important for us to celebrate, and share our cultures?


Bronze - One Paragraph

Silver - Two Paragraphs

Gold - Three or more Paragraphs


Start your writing here:


My culture’s are Tongan, Samoan and Tuvaluan. My Dad is Tongan and my Mum is Samoan and a bit of Tuvalu. I do a  Tau'olunga or a Siva Samoa which are traditional dances my family do. I can’t really speak Samoan or Tongan that well because I was born in New Zealand.  I am used to dancing the Tongan way called a Tau'olunga. Tau'olunga means ``dance'' in English . The Samoan traditional dance is called Siva Samoa in English it is pronounced as a Samoan dance. I am not used to dancing for Siva Samoa because I am not used to dancing the Samoan way.


What Tongans wear on a Tau’olunga is a Ta'ovala which is a special Tongan mat that Tongans wear on a special occasion. They wear leaves that have oil on them that are for decorations, the leaves can be on your wrist, your neck, and your ankles, then they may wear a Teki tekei. A Teki teki is a hair piece that goes into your hair. There are different kinds of Teki teki that are made out of feathers, leather and much more. The main hair style that most Tongans use is a line in the middle of your hair and a bun at the back of your head. 


For a Siva, Samoa ladies wear a puletasi which is a matching skirt and tunic with Samoan designs on it. Samoans also wear lava lava which are a type of sarong which can be worn by men or women. The Samoan traditional dance is called Siva Samoa. 

My favourite Tongan food is called Ota’ Ika and my favourite Tongan dessert is called Panikeke. I also have a favourite Tongan drink called o’tai, o’tai is a kind of juice that can be made with any type of fruit. My favourite`1` Samoan food is sapasui which is Samoan chop suey and I don’t have a favourite Samoan dessert because I love all the Samoan desserts. 


I would love to learn how to talk in my culture's languages. 

Did you know in Tonga if you are a girl and you go to school in Tonga you are only allowed to braid your hair in two braids. 

Fun facts about my Culture’s: 

  1. Did you know Tonga has a disappearing island.

  2. Samoa is 24 hours ahead of its close neighbour

  3. Tuvalu is one of the smallest countries in the world



1 comment:

  1. Hi Lynette

    This is a fantastic piece of writing! I love the way that you have explained and described some specific things about your culture. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.